View Single Post
Old 11-11-13, 05:28 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas47
What workout would you recommend to increase your sprint speed ?
currently at 46kph-ish want to get up towards 50kph, I am youth so hope that explains slower speeds.
Last year, about mid season I had the same desire. So on the track training night that I would normally do strength work like standing starts and jumps, I would just do a couple of standing starts and then go into max speed revouts. Basically jump from 30km/h and go for broke. If you do them right, you're stuffed, and they're not the sort of thing you can do repeats of every couple of minutes. I could only really do 3 of good quality in a 1hr session. Doing these over the course of about 1 1/2 months saw me go from a top speed of 56 up to 58.8. I would suggest you try that out, but having done it, I think it has the most benefit during a race season. I probably wouldn't do much of that type of work in off season.

That is just one technique that worked for me to achieve the same thing you say you want. As Carleton said, I think getting a coach will help you to gain in all areas rather than just one facet of the game.