Old 09-27-05, 06:34 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
Everybody says this - even Sheldon Brown, but I defy anyone to ride a bike that is too tall and say that standover height is the "least important measurement!" Especially after the first emergency dismount or two!

I'm an iconoclast on this matter, but I still say that standover height (although only one of several factors in fit) is STILL, and ALWAYS the MOST important factor! Everything else is secondary if the bike's just too tall!
Beg to differ, especially on a roadie. A road bike simply does not have this need as a mtn bike does. After 15,000+ miles on roadies I have never been faced with this issue, and the way I dismount and handle the bike would fully negate the need for excessive stand over height. For someone with a 29" inseam and a 6' body, choices get very slim, indeed! Either crunch my upper body or have less SO height.

Somehow I don't follow your logic about a bike that it "too tall" having a lack of standover height, especially when I was discussing myself with a 29" pants inseam. Think about your statement just a bit more. My bike is only 56cm - definitely not "too tall" for a 6 footer.

But, this will turn into a "he said" - "she said" discussion, and I will bow out. However, you are welcome to argue with Sheldon. He frequents the bike mechanic section quite regularly. I guess, given the choice, I would go with Sheldon's opinion.