View Single Post
Old 11-13-13, 10:58 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,540 Times in 1,406 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of the OPs accident. Even minor ones are no fun at all.

However, I take issue with the characterization of bicycling as "incredibly dangerous", in or out of bike lanes. The reality is that bicycling's perceived danger greatly exceed the actual danger, as evidenced by the millions of riders with long injury free cycling careers.

It would be more accurate to say that bicycling is incredibly safe. I don't claim that bicycling is as safe as staying at home watching TV (though if you factor heart disease, it might be), but if done with reasonable alertness and care it can be among the safest activities we engage in.

In fact, all things considered, including the risk of early death through accident, cyclists as a group enjoy life expectancies well above average. So regardless of the perceived dangers, it's safer to ride a bike than not to.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.