Thread: Side visibility
View Single Post
Old 11-15-13, 06:23 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked 1,724 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I disagree, I haven't had any issues with Cygolite's switches or plug covers. Styling? well it's a light, and some folks have different taste than others. But I compared Cygolite and other brands, including the NiteRider at local LBS and the other companies switches and plug covers aren't any better or worse. I have seen cheap switches used in the mid to lower end Cateye's and all of the Planet Bike stuff, but again the plug covers were about the same. But that's just my opinion from playing with them in the display counter. I well tell you this, my cheap 20 some odd year old Cygolite Metro, the cheapest light they sold back then, switches still work fine after many rainstorms.
Well, you know others have had problems with the plug covers-- not just me-- as you've been involved in threads here on BF about it. Not only are the difficult to close, they don't stay closed, and they're easy to pull from their mount. Maybe it's a design flaw native only to the Expilion line; that's possible. Every other USB light I've seen is better in this regard, e.g. Knog, Niterider, Light &Motion.

Regarding switchgear, my beef is not that they fail, but that they have vague, heavy, slow action. NiteRider Lumina is far and away better in this regard.

As for style, yes, you're right that some my like the chunky looks, but the primary appeal for me was the easy-to-swap battery and sane flash mode. Oh, and the price; Cygolite is low for the class.