Old 11-15-13, 12:10 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by sarals
I've always been one who has sought out "bang for the buck", no matter the current object of my desire. That extra 2 or 3 percent of difference/performance gain I'm not going to either notice, or be able to take advantage of, so my take has always been "why spend 30 to 50 percent more for 2 to 3 percent gain"? That's me. Others differ.
Ditto. I spend money on wheels and on (my bike) position. The rest of it is less important, but I'll splurge if someone is selling a light saddle for cheap or I can pick up another spare Thomson post.

What's sort of ironic is that aero wheels help me most in tailwinds - that's where I notice it the most anyway. It's not like I'm always benefiting from them, and some of my good places were on non-aero wheels.

Position - virtually all my non-wheel and non-wear purchases in the last 4 years have been position related - frames (and small parts for said frames), bars, stems, crank things (for length). I've been trying to fix my "loose pedal" thing too - I seem to unclip out of the Keos on a disturbingly regular basis but I haven't committed to changing anything yet.

I don't lust after any particular frame or component group. I like certain wheel lines (HED, for example, or ENVE), I like certain position related things (FSA Compact bars), but I'm definitely more the "working man's bike" kind of person. Paint and such don't do much for me.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson