Old 11-17-13, 01:43 AM
Turtle Speed
happy bike wishes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting, thanks for the link!

This is the first real-world scenarios I've seen with the TiGr lock, and I had a feeling it sounded too good to be true.

Thank goodness the theft situation in most places isn't as dire as in the video. Where I live, a decent-quality U-lock puts you head and shoulders above the competition, especially when there are adjacent $1,000 bikes locked with cables.

I think I remember reading at one university that about half of bike theft was unlocked bikes, half was bikes with cables, and only 2% of stolen bikes had U-locks. And of those U's, I'm guessing probably most were lower-end ones. I don't know of those stats are correct (or apply everywhere), but it roughly correlates to what I see around me. People in Chicago seem to be trusting U's a lot, even leaving wheels unlocked. And people who ride as their jobs in much worse crime areas than me say that bikes that are locked with high-quality U's or chains don't really get messed with

So I'm not that much more paranoid after seeing the video. I'll keep my hardened chain on the shelf unless I know I'll need to lock overnight or to something of unusual size.