View Single Post
Old 11-18-13, 10:01 AM
phoebeisis
New Orleans

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The guidelines identify four high-risk groups who could benefit from statins: people with pre-existing heart disease, such as those who have had a heart attack; people ages 40 to 75 who have diabetes; patients ages 40 to 75 with at least a 7.5% risk of developing cardiovascular disease over the next decade, according to a formula described in the guidelines; and patients with the sort of super-high cholesterol that sometimes runs in families, as evidenced by an LDL of 190 milligrams per deciliter or higher.

The 3rd group- 7.5% risk etc-that is the "RUB"
1)Had an MI- ok
2)Diabetic-OK
4)Freakishly high LDL-ok
3) 7.5% risk over 10 years- of developing cardiovascular disease-this is responsible for the HUGE- doubled-increase in folks who could be put on statins

Oh-I take Lipitor-it makes me "feel foggy logy" which is very hard to quantify-and I'm medically jargon adept-so an older person-on lots of meds-how in the world are they going to even "Know" something isn't right.
How do you quantify "I feel foggy"?
Now I'm just going to take it once a week-Friday- so I can recover on the weekend when i don't have to be sharp.

There are other meds in the works-testing etc-that "might" be a bit more specific
But since some/most of the statin good effect-might be do to decreasing inflammation -at the blood vessel wall-by as yet undefined mechanism- if these new meds concentrate on cholesterol-they will miss the boat.

Sucks to get old

PS On the bright side My Saints beat the MUCH HATED 49's-so all is well.I don't know why I care-but i do.