Old 11-20-13, 05:19 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I used to work at a Country Club as a part time job in college. Are you aware that for less than $160/month you can workout at Country Club level health clubs. I'm talking high-end: New equipment, Free weights, Sauna, Steam Room, Lounges, Beer/Wine Bars, Massages, Juice Bars, AIR CONDITIONING, Tanning, Child Care, Tennis Courts, Valet Parking, Towel Service, Swimming Pools, Basketball, Climbing Walls, Personal Training, Diet Consulting, THE WHOLE NINE!.
For $160 a month- over 12 months, you could own a squat cage, full set of bumpers and build a platform...
that's what i did..

it seams like this thread has gotten off track- when someone says "CrossFit" i am thinking group sessions of prescribed workouts.. suddenly we are talking about doing your own thing in a CrossFit gym.. that's not CrossFit... thats just lifting in an overpriced gym

i am willing to agree that there are some benefits of the CrossFit program for some track racers... but if you are really trying to advance as a sprinter Carleton hits the nail on the head with this:
Originally Posted by carleton
This comes up in every program. Track Sprinters overwhelmingly embrace Starting Strength as the basis of a weight training program. Even as a Beginner's Program, it's good enough to achieve what a Track Cyclist needs to ride his bike powerfully. But, one cannot follow the Starting Strength program to the letter because that program assumes that you are not doing anything else during the week. Track Sprinters also do hours of on-the-bike work, too (track efforts, road rides, crits, ergo work, etc...), even during the winter. So, the Starting Strength program MUST be paired-down to its core components: The Squat, The Deadlift, The Power Clean, and a handful of supplemental lifts for muscular balancing. One wouldn't push as hard to progress in their bench press as they would the squat.

Rippetoe's next book in the series, Practical Programming for Strength Training (also a good read), covers what an intermediate weight lifter would need to know. But, this level of weight training (middle of the road in the weight training world) would only be used for only a small percentage of track sprinters. The basic program is enough (and often more than enough) for the vast majority of track sprinters (and overkill for most other cyclists).
(except: i followed the Beginner program "to the letter" and now i do Texas Method from Practical Programming)

Last edited by Quinn8it; 11-20-13 at 05:21 PM. Reason: additional whit