mcafiero
Italian Stallion

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix; Dolan Df3; 1980's GIOS Pista;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
I used to work at a Country Club as a part time job in college. Are you aware that for less than $160/month you can workout at Country Club level health clubs. I'm talking high-end: New equipment, Free weights, Sauna, Steam Room, Lounges, Beer/Wine Bars, Massages, Juice Bars, AIR CONDITIONING, Tanning, Child Care, Tennis Courts, Valet Parking, Towel Service, Swimming Pools, Basketball, Climbing Walls, Personal Training, Diet Consulting, THE WHOLE NINE!.

Actually, I once belonged to a gym like that for $80/month (rate was $120/month with a spouse). Also, at the YMCA in Atlanta (Buckhead), I got all of those services (minus valet, beer/wine) for $45/month. They even had a dozen hard and artificial clay tennis courts.
http://www.ymcaatlanta.org/locations.../sby/sby.shtml

For what I've seen in the dozen or so "Boxes" that I've been to, It's a big room with stuff scattered about. The locker rooms are bare bones. The equipment is old or aging. The whole, "My buddy's basement gym" vibe. I'd price that value at maybe $15/month and maybe extra $ per hour for personal training from the certified guy to check my form and give tips. At $160/month, it's not a good value in terms of what you can get in a gym.
Nothing but brand new stuff at our place and it's HUGE. I don't think I could bring my bike and trainer to the YMCA. Or my baby. And I am sensitive to being around people that I like (and those who annoy the hell out of me). The YMCA is full of old guys with beer bellys, and it's awkwardly quiet. Not too inspiring. 24 hour fitness is full of wannabe bodybuilders with crappy form. Country clubs are full of snobs. I'm with my kind of people at my place. And did I mention that I will NEVER have to wait for a squat rack? NEVER. The worst was at 24 hour fitness having to wait for the rack being used by a posse of thugs overloading the bar and going down about 1/4 of a squat, and grunting loudly like they are the business, walking around with their gallon milk jugs full of some sort of hot pink liquid. Incredibly annoying environment. I'm inspired by the people at my "box". They are fit and strong, agile and powerful. That's motivating! It's worth it. You know what's stupid to spend money on? Starbucks. Booze. Fancy restaurants. Watches. Cashmere sweaters. Cars (mine's been paid for for 6 years). I'm a minimalist throughout my life. I buy my clothes on eBay! I like to splurge a little on athletics, whether it makes logical sense or not. I don't think that's a bad vice to have. I'm picky about my workout environment.

Last edited by mcafiero; 11-20-13 at 05:33 PM.