View Single Post
Old 11-21-13, 11:34 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Let me say this. The setup was extremely easy. The ongoing maintenance required from now on is brilliant. Every so often -- not even every ride -- I will connect my gadget to my computer and go to the dashboard web page. That will let me upload my data. It will give a readout like this for all the rides I've uploaded. I can share it, and if I want to go crazy, I could do deep analysis of the data. I can also make goals, and it can track and tell me how I'm doing at reaching those goals.

This is pretty unbelievable. I do have a plan, but I don't have specifics yet.

I'm 52 years old. If I work out a bit harder than I currently do, I can get stronger. One day, I will reach an age where working out does not strengthen me. Instead, it will slow down the natural weakening that happens when we're old. So I want to get as strong as possible for when that day arrives.

My uncle Dave is 87 years old and has a tough life. I talked to him a few months ago. He doesn't have enough money for complete retirement, so he has to work. His body is tired. His mind is tired, too, because his wife of many years is in advanced Alzheimers, and she needs a lot of care. He says he looks at himself in the mirror and can see himself shrinking and getting weaker. To fight that, he works out every day. The result is that his body's decay is slower than it would be without working out. He says lifting weights is very important. "Tommy (that's what he calls me), you have to lift weights. I'm lifting weights. You have to lift weights. Tommy, are you lifting weights?!" So I promised to him and myself that I would lift weights and work out. He and my other uncle Abe are all I have left of my father, who died four years ago. He didn't take as good care of himself as my uncles take of themselves, and I think that's why he died sooner. He was younger than Dave and older than Abe.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.