View Single Post
Old 11-21-13, 10:45 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
That's not what I had in mind. I'll venture that most drivers have no idea what they mean, so the right start is a billboard or public service TV campaign explaining what they are. But there also needs to be scenario specific education, by whatever means are shown to work, dealing with lane placement when making turns, safe passing separation, right of way, and so on. I'm not talking about only educating mororists, the reality is that the majority of cyclists are ill-equipped to stay safe on the road.

Road safety depends on all players, bicyclists and motorists, understanding what the other guy might be thinking or will or may do in various circumstances. Here on the forum folks are always discussing cyclist rights, I'm more interested in cyclist survival, and the two are not necessarily interlocked.
I mostly agree with you up to the point that is bolded. It sure looks to me like the dangerous riding habits that many (most?) cyclists engage in have been driven by a lack of understanding of their right to the roadway. They seem to be trying to balance riding against some imperative to never inconvenience anyone in a car, which can't really be done.