Old 11-22-13, 01:27 AM
Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
From a 'Street View' on Google Maps, and using just 'Highway 71' in Winslow(AR), it shows a two-lane road with a 50mph sign and marginal shoulders. Seems risky with just that. Then the lack of a cell phone signal just to boot.

His laying in the road, was indirectly, eerily similar to, what happened to me. A couple years ago, I was stupidly riding on the sidewalk of a 40mph four-lane road coming back from an appointment. When I lost my balance as a result of having to go so slow, and fell off my bike into rush hour traffic. Luckily, The traffic saw me. But I thought for sure I was going to get run over.

I am glad he didn't get hit.

When I am out on a ride, I take into account the, time of day(AM/PM Rush, weekend), speed limit, how many lanes on the road, temperature(heat can slow a cyclist down).

Personally I 'take the lane'. I will not ride on a shoulder. I have been hit several times on shoulder-less roads 'hugging the curb'. But I also have lights far brighter than anything Planet Bike has, along with wearing a bright-yellow reflective windbreaker.