View Single Post
Old 11-24-13, 07:17 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 884 Posts
The second cold front blew through, bringing temperatures in the mid-20s and wind gusts to ~50mph, the beta release candidate for Winter. I took a ride in that in the early afternoon, getting the layering more or less correct from memory. Drivers were frantic, the way they are with any noticeable weather, so I stuck to the Minuteman. The WNW wind gave me a head-wind outbound, real push-back, with the occasional playful buffet from the side when it got bored. Near Lexington Center, I got hit by a whirlwind with a dense load of leaves and dirt; I don't make a habit of closing my eyes when riding, but did then. Lots of sticks and small branches down on the path, but nothing big, at least when I rode it. Bright day, but somehow my horizon constricted, and mostly I was aware of sounds: the wind in the treetops, sighing and roaring in turn; the wind whistling in my ears; leaves scritching along the pavement; branches creaking and clacking; street signs clanking; wind-chimes taking mad solos; bell-like birdsong penetrating the rest of it a few times along Arlington's Great Meadow.

I turned around at Depot Park, and suddenly I had a tailwind, my pace picked up, the air seemed calm as I rode in harmony with it, the leaves raced along beside me like friendly dogs. Wild day for a ride, 20 miles.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 11-25-13 at 08:13 AM.