View Single Post
Old 11-25-13, 01:07 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by LiteraryChic
Okay, so I currently have the Spin Doctor Rescue HV Mini Pump mounted to Lola, and am not a fan of it, at all! However, I cannot seem to find a mini pump that is any smaller than that. I have my Co2 inflator/cartridges, but got my mini pump upon other posters advice. Now, I am thinking of ditching it altogether in my tool roll (which I have yet to get, let's not go there ... ..., however, I did purchase the PoCampo Logan Trunk Bag ... haven't gotten to ride wth it yet, but it looks promising.) and taking it back or keeping it to use at home. For home, I currently have a Serfas floor pump that I am considering selling as I have never used it.

Anway, any suggestions on a smaller/thinner mini pump?

Thanks!
Look, I personally I always prefer a pump over CO2 -
1. No risk of screwing up threading the cartridge on and losing everything, or getting a bad cartridge.
2. When I had little money, it cost less.
3. No risk of forgetting to replace a spent CO2 cartridge and ending up with nothing when I got a flat.
4. No risk of running out of CO2 cartridges from multiple flats (a lot of times they seem to all come at once)
5. Don't need to use up a cartridge to help someone else
6. Etc etc

All that being said though - an air pump in the size you are talking about is just plain terrible. Seriously they are just awful to use. A pump that small can barely get any air into your tire, and it's a pain in the ass.

I suggest you do one of two things -

1. Use a decent size mini pump, like a Road Morph Mini (that's the mini, not the regular full size version). It's bigger than you're asking for though. But I don't recommend anything smaller than that - anything smaller in a pump is just a pain in the ass to get a tire up to a decent pressure.

2. Use a combination CO2/air pump like this one (this is just a random one I found on amazon) -
http://www.amazon.com/RavX-Master-Mi...words=co2+pump

You'd have the air pump part as backup in case all your CO2 cartridges fail.

The bottom line is that tiny air pumps are a total pain in the ass to use, and why people use CO2. I recommend you either use a decent sized air pump (like the Road Morph Mini), or CO2 with an air pump backup built in.