View Single Post
Old 11-27-13, 10:55 AM
MrCjolsen

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
The batteries ARE EASY to replace, simply loosen the screw and pop the back off, inside are 4 AA batteries spring loaded like any other AA battery device...how difficult is that?

I found a workaround for that problem. I just put a thick piece of mtb sized inner tube around the front of the light and ditched the screw. Holds it firmly in place, and I can change the batteries in the dark.

And why would someone not be confident of their on board charger? I've had mine now for 2 riding seasons and it charges the batteries just fine, it's a smart charger too instead of a timed charger that can overcharge batteries if their not run to dead prior to charging.
Hmmm. I'll need to do a test run after having charged good batteries with the onboard charger. Do you think it was my batteries? As of right now, most of my rechargeables are at least a year old.

it is bigger, but that size enabled Phillips to use a larger lens, and a larger lens is much more eye catching to oncoming motorists than a smaller lens producing a pin prick of light appearance.
This would be a perfect light if they went with a battery pack. A Li-ion, USB rechargeable would be cool. I wonder of you could modify it to use a pack with 4 C or D cells. That would make make the unit that attaches to your bars lighter while extending the run time.

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
There's no excuse for needing tools to change batteries. I'm supposed to fish a screwdriver out of my tool kit when the batteries die mid ride? What other light requires you to use tools to change the batteries?

I'm still kind of considering it, but I probably won't go for it since I already have 3 acceptable front lights and my budget is spent for a while.
See above for my fix to that problem.

First of all, I think this light is marketed to commuters who ride an hour or less on the road. MTB riders who go for much of the night probably don't need it's optics but want less weight and longer run times. For them, the current crop of flashlight based models is fine.