Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
I honk... same as drivers in a car. Airzounds.

I also carry a copy of the laws as they apply to cyclists on small cards and freely hand those out to anyone willing to do more than shout.
Yes, You have mentioned Airzounds in the past, but I still don't like them, on a bike. They work great on a boat. I don't think so on a bike. But that is me. As for carrying a copy of the laws, are you referring to laws being on little business cards? Because I can't find a pocket guide for Maryland or Virginia. There is a PDF file on the DC laws at http://www.waba.org, but that is online. I have thought about it for some time. I should have done that eons ago.

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Why would you think that your proficiency with colorful language would convince anybody that you know what you're doing, or that riding is safe.

Not pointing to you directly, I often wonder if cyclist attitudes reflect that of the motorists, or if it might be the other way around. I do know that some cyclists seem to have more problems with motorists than others.

OTOH- there's no percentage in discussing problems with family if they already think cycling is dangerous. My nephew bicycle commutes year round about 20 miles RT in Philadelphia. His wife is (much) less than thrilled, but accepts it. He and I make it a point never to discuss close calls, or incidents in her presence. We keep any bicycle related conversations upbeat and positive. We talk about feeling better or staying in shape, and how riding, even in terrible weather makes us stronger.

If family worries, there's no point in making them worry more, so don't talk about crazy drivers.
I agree that mentioning it to family who repeatedly badgers me about it, is just plain stupid. My main reason for telling them, is so I relieve any stress I might have from any incident I mention to them.

Like today, I mentioned to them I finally got through to the company VP of a 'green' cab company, about a cab driver who illegally passed me in a left turn nearly killing me, a couple days ago. The company VP was none too happy about what the cab driver did is going to 're-educate' the cab driver. While they initially respond in fear, when(and if) I first tell them. They are all 'congratulatory' when I go to the top on dealing with someone driving in a public transportation capacity.