Old 11-28-13, 07:35 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stevepusser
Depending on the trees, that's one situation where a hammock would come in handy. I've stayed at the hike and bike site at Castle Crags SP in northern California, which has most of the flat space taken up by two or three picnic tables, with two other two-man sized flat spots nearby. It can get a lot of Pacific Crest trail hikers there, since it's where the PCT crosses I-5, and has the first store and hot showers for many days hike in either direction. I've always arrived fairly early there to beat the worst of the summer heat, but by dusk people were sleeping under and on the picnic tables. There are lot of pines in the site, just not much flat ground.
In the EGs where there are trees there is normally a lot of water. Areas to the west of the park have oaks and pines though.

Deeper in where I go by boat there are only mangroves and you just can't get in the forest without cutting yourself up bad (barnacles, oysters, etc.). Not even sure you could get in at all since the roots are so tall and knarly, but in an emergency you might be able to. I hammock a lot and just can't see how it would work in all situations. I do know of a few areas with both dry land and trees though, just far and few between.