Old 12-04-13, 12:05 PM
akexpress 

Bikes: 2015 Calfee Tetra tandem,2016 Calfee Tetra Adventure Tandem, Ventana ECDM 26 mtn tandem, Ventana ECDM 29r full suspension Mtn tandem ,Ventana Fat tire tandem, Calfee Dragon Fly, Santa Cruz Carbon 5010, 907 Whiteout fat tire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Valde_91
Hi everybody! I'm new here and really interested in this discussion.

We've a Trek t2000, with an old Magura Gustav M as a drag brake with a stoker lever to actuate it, and tektro mini v-brakes front and rear. The Gustav is really powerful, but it's almost impossible to silence it, I've tried everything (centering, new pads, new disc, pad silencer, ...) but every time after a brake it start squeaking, resonating in the whole frame. The only fix is to stop and push manually the caliper towards the rim, that silence it until the next time my stoker brakes. Moreover, I and my stoker we don't really like shouting in the middle of a descent to coordinate the breaking. So, we are looking for a replacement. We live in Switzerland and we're often confronted with steep descent and we don't consider rim only brakes as a safe option. So, I came across the Hy/Rd, that seems to be the perfect solution, no more noise and no more stoker lever (and maybe also the option to run the mini v-brake and the disc at the same time with a PS Cable doubler 1:2?) , but luckily I've read this post before ordering anything. I've a question about this issue: has anyone tried to insert an additional spring between the caliper cable housing end and the cable attachment arm? (as shown by this not very well photoshoped photo :-) )

Could this solution provide the additional force to fully retract the cable?
Valde_91
I bought springs for this purpose and will report back how well it works in a few weeks. I think it will be a band aid solution until TRD changes to a heavier spring.