View Single Post
Old 12-04-13, 02:34 PM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I certainly don't want a light that just decides on its own to drop brightness. If run time is a problem either I'll start in a lower brightness mode myself or I'll carry spare lights and batteries. Dropping brightness is a dumb design decision. I don't have a problem with dropping to a really low level when there are 5 minutes left - that gives me a good warning and a little light to see by to dig out the spare battery, but dropping by X percent with lots of time left on the battery is not what I want. I'm riding on very bad streets just 5 minutes from home, and I don't want my light not putting out 100% just when I need it just because I rode for an hour before that.
How these lights work is when it is at 20% remaining battery life, it switches to a lower intensity so you can still have light. If it would not do that, you would only have a few more minutes and then nothing. I do not consider that a dumb design.