Old 12-05-13, 05:46 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
If anyone has some time, I would like input on my perceived exertion of different percentages of [estimated] FTP. I am doing a test this weekend, so I can update FTP at that point. All are for sustained efforts below FTP, as I haven’t started interval training.

I am also wondering what other people use for power zones, what each zone “feels like”, and how many zones you have (below and above ftp). Is a zone for you a target or a range (or a bit of both)?

90% - (Hard workout)
Very focused on effort. Good for 20 to 45 minutes for a first climb of a long ride and still feel good for later climbs.

80% - (Moderate workout)
Takes focus to hold on the flats. Can do a ton of climbing at this level and feel quite good still. Would not want to do it for a few hours, but could if I had to.

65% - (Easy workout)
No focus required for this effort except to keep an eye on the computer. Can keep it up for many hours. Legs may get sluggish, but no big deal.

50% - (Not a workout)
Just riding along, not trying to get anywhere. Recovery days. Better leave early; it’ll take time to get anywhere.

40% - (Am I moving?)
Feels like a college student chatting with friends while riding a beat up cruiser and swerving around from lack of experience riding a bike. Reserved for commute home late at night, muscles sore, and am really lazy.