Old 12-05-13, 07:03 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by debit

But I was determined to not wimp out . . . .. . ...

Then I saw not one, not two, but about six different cyclists go by. Just peddling away like it was a sunny day in the park. They are all braver people than I.
That was my motivation yesterday as well. And until you actually get get out there and try, you never know how it is going to be.

I had the same experience you did with the tires. Don't know if this is bad form to quote my own post, but I can cut and paste better than I can type.

Originally Posted by loky1179
Snowing tonight. For the first time, I did not make it home - made the "call of shame". There really wasn't very much snow - maybe 3 or 4 inches - but it was just the wrong kind of wet for my 1.9" mtb bike tires. I'd float up, then crunch down, so even through the unbroken snow it felt like I was constantly riding over bumps. Just exhausting. I could barely stay upright on the smooth sections, but where there was plow chop thrown over the trail I couldn't ride it. Interestingly, I saw tire tracks from the super fat tire bikes - they didn't have a problem. And one guy passed me on a skinny tire single speed - he was cutting through the snow better than I was and was managing to stay upright, though he was really working at it.

It took me two hours to ride what usually takes me 45 minutes. That is the halfway point, and the end of the "good" trails. At that point, I knew the next 4 miles would be un-rideable, since the trail is right next to a busy 4 lane. Hiking 4 miles sounds like fun I know, but I was in my SPDs with booties. So I figured it would take me at least another two hours to get home, probably more, and I was already exhausted from the first part of the ride and the ten hours of work before that.

So I called my wife.