View Single Post
Old 12-06-13, 09:33 AM
bikenh

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by overbyte
I don't have direct experience with quilts, but I know from my sleeping bags that the ratings are not true to the comfort level except under ideal conditions: new bag, wearing warm base-layer and wool socks, covering the foot end with a jacket, sleeping on an insulated pad, in a small tent. My kids from personal experience say if you expect temps around 30 degrees F, get a sleeping bag rated at zero degrees. Their reasoning is that over time the insulation loses its loft and provides less insulation. Be sure to pack the bag or quilt loosely when it's stored between trips rather than in a compression sack. I use a cotton laundry bag for that storage. I have been testing a 30-deg rated bag and a 0-5 degree rated bag. I'm still a little cold in the 30-degree bag when temps are in the low 40's. So, I say, go for more insulation than a 30-degree quilt if you really expect temps near 30. And get some warm base-layer clothing, wool socks, and a balaclava.
It really varies person to person. I bought, kinda on a whim, a 32 degree down bag from Walmart. The outer and inner material are of thin quality, could probably rip rather easily. I tested it out right after I bought it. All I had on was a long sleeve cotton tshirt and a pair long johns. I don't remember if I put a winter hat on or not. I went outside and spent the night outside in my side yard. I woke up to 34 degrees and other than the upper(when laying on my side) hip, the rest of me was nice and warm. I could have easily spent the night out with it at 32 degrees and not have had too much to even think about. Different people have different comfort levels, that's why you always test any bag out before taking it out into the extremes.