Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
The VC haters are many in this thread.
Originally Posted by buzzman
I realize I often defend bicycle infrastructure, like bike paths, MUPS, Rail Trails, bike lanes and sharrows but that defense does not define how I ride on the road in the absence of said accommodations. Making use of the full lane, riding as a vehicle on the roadway is something that I do every single day that I ride. I think if you rode with me on the roadway you would find I am very much a vehicular cyclist. This type of riding was around long before certain "bike experts" turned "Vehicular Cycling" into a trademarked dogma, which is often used to drive a wedge between cyclists. You would be absolutely correct to say I am not that kind of "VC" cyclist. I'm more of a pragmatic vehicular cyclist than a dogmatic Vehicular Cyclist.

But I have no idea how it serves you, other cyclists or bike advocacy in general to delineate those who do not adhere to this dogma as "VC Haters". I don't hate it I just don't buy it. I don't get it as a strategy to win others over to your point of view.
Why do you think my statement was inclusive of you specifically?

You are right VC riding has been around a very long time. From my observations, the divide did not begin with either John Forester or John Allen BUT with those that felt the need to claim VC is dangerous so they could get the bike lanes, side paths and MUPs that they wanted.