Old 12-07-13, 11:51 AM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swimmer
I've never done any serious, long distance, self-supported touring, and would like to get my feet wet. Due to limited ability to take time off, I'd like to do a 9 day, one way, 646 mile trip from my current home to Acadia National Park starting over Memorial day weekend. I'd like to do it entirely camping, with the exception of staying with friends 2 different nights, which will give me free showers and laundry, so I'll be heavily loaded. Daily distances are flexible, but I've mapped out a route with good places to stay each night with distances varying between 97 miles and 67 miles, with the exception of the last day, which is only 36miles. Due to logistics, the trip may have to be extended to a 10th day of 16 miles, and a 11th day of 17 miles. The route is nowhere near flat.

My closest experience was an attempted 2 day, 300 mile trip, with camping plus a credit car for meals, that sort of failed and ended up being 3 days, after failing to get any sleep after the first day. I've done a fair amount of backpacking and camping, and am comfortable packing very light. I really don't feel like biking 70 miles a day, over the course of 12 hours should be challenging at all if I'm in shape.

However, currently, I'm in what is definitely the worst shape of my life, need a bike, all camping equipment beyond a tent and sleeping bag, and will have only a few weeks riding outside before I leave. Spinning inside is completely different. I'll have had the chance to do a century maybe once or twice before that weekend.

I don't want to set myself up for failure, injury, or a completely miserable experience. Should I rethink this, and look for a shorter trip to go on?
Hi Swimmer,

Not too ambitious. If you do it right.

You mention that you will be heavily loaded (for camping). It doesn't have to be this way. Doing it right would include changing this, and that would include doing some research and making excellent gear or equipment choices. You could start with Pete Staehling's article over at CGOAB. There are other good resources on the web as well. Listen to what Andrew Skurka has to say about tents vs tarps (in his book, or in his presentation on ultralight gear at www.youtube.com -- 'Skurka google ultralight' in the www.youtube.com searchbox should get you there). Ray Jardine also has excellent material on the subject, both on his website and in his books.

Have a look at bikepackers' sites and gear lists, and at the pictures of their setups. If you will be mainly on-road, you can use a lighter bike. See nun's thread on ultralight evangelism.

Your attainable daily mileages in the hills and mountains, along with your levels of fatigue, will be much better if you keep it light or very light.

You can also save some meaningful pounds by researching suitable lightweight bikes.

Why can't you ride outside earlier than you are thinking? Get past that self-imposed limitation. Check out the commuting forum -- people are commuting year round in all kinds of weather. Toughen up, man. It will serve you well when it comes time to tour.

You mention being in the worst shape of your life. Not good. Change this. Find a way. There are many ways, in addition to the few that have already been mentioned, including more creative approaches that you might not have considered yet.

There is a good short video about a guy who got back into shape, from being way out of shape, by riding (in all kinds of weather, in New England). Entering 'Dartmouth Hitchcock Cycling' in the www.youtube.com searchbox should get you there.

Just buck up, get off the butt, and start now. Start the journey to fitness now, concretely rather than vaguely or sometime in the future. Take the steps. Do the research. Get the right gear. Find a way, or multiple ways, of making it all work.

Another possibility is to find a bike you really enjoy riding. If you enjoy it, you are more likely to want to get out there actually riding it. And find the gear that will allow you to enjoy riding it in a variety of conditions, including winter and early spring day rides. Maybe get some added recommendations from the good people on the commuting forum. Talk with local riders and shops. Find the hardy souls who make it work. Make some time for day rides. Commute or partly commute. Don't shrink or hide from 'bad' or 'scary' weather or conditions. The gear and attitudes exist, that will enable you to convert riding in these conditions into something enjoyable. Find or create recreational activities that are enjoyable, or find ways of making them enjoyable. Have fun conquering the elements.

Last edited by Niles H.; 12-07-13 at 12:31 PM.