Old 12-07-13, 02:36 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by CommuteCommando
One solution is Sharrows. These are pretty controversial. I like them. Some motorists, and even some cyclists hate them......... I have been taking the lane here for years before the Sharrow markings. Now I rarely get brushe passed when doing it.

When applied to streets and roads with lower traffic speeds, and to AASHTO standards, I like sharrows as well, since I can move about the lane as needed to avoid certain hazards, plus more of the roadway is swept clean of debris, unlike in the case of many dedicated bike lanes. I agree on the difference sharrow markings can make, since one section of roadway that I commute on, in which the markings were applied, motorists were more patient in their driving habits. When the same section of roadway was repaved, and the sharrow markings were slow in being reapplied, the motorist driving behavior was considerably more agitated by my presence in the roadway, resulting in much closer passes, with some motorists applying full throttle in the passing maneuver process.

Once the sharrow markings were reapplied, motorist driving habits reverted to being that of showing more patience.