Old 12-07-13, 05:00 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
We have four bike/ped bridges in town. The DeFazio bridge, over the Willamette River, is a comely suspension bridge that serves no real purpose (there is an adjacent bridge, the Ferry St. Bridge, that has bike/ped paths on both sides).

However, I suspect the one you saw is the only one that does not span the river, the Delta Hwy Bridge. It has pretty red lights, but its beauty ends there. The east end is in a neighborhood with nothing to go to and where no one who rides, which by itself doesn't condemn the bridge to uselessness. It's problem is the other end. Rather than span both the highway and its adjacent high speed frontage road, the morons who designed it chose to land it just short of this high speed roadway. Thus, any users of the bridge must stop at the bottom and wait for traffic to clear before they can proceed to the riverfront bike paths. They were 90% of the way there, but chose to screw it up. This sort of bad planning does bunch up my knickers. This poorly done bridge likely will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 per crossing over the first decade of its existence due to the low level of use.
If the crossing that you speak of is the one that has one lane in each direction and a very large concrete island place in the middle of the road, many of our local cyclists and peds would give their eye teeth to have something so similar, especially when our city has several 3 lane one way arterials, with a posted speed limit closely matching that particular road, cutting through the heart of our residential areas... the game of Frogger should come to mind.

Looking at the map, the bridge in question cuts a considerable distance of travel to cross the highway to get to the trails on the other side. I'm still envious on what your locale does spend in time, energy, and money on ped and cycling infrastructure.

Last edited by dynodonn; 12-07-13 at 05:06 PM.