View Single Post
Old 12-08-13, 08:50 PM
lastostrogoth

Bikes: Erickson, Orbea Orca Bronze, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp w/Deore XT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The point is not necessary. I had two flats on Monday's ride and repaired them when I got home. It was 25º out and my fingers were pretty wooden by the time I got the tube out of the tire. Like you, and probably most people, I usually wait a couple of minutes before applying the patch. Monday I tried it Zinn's way. It worked great. I was standing around in my kitchen listening to a book on tape, no rush, no hassle. I have had four flats this season in 2100 miles of riding. I suspect that may cover it for a while. It has been my experience that flats seem to come in waves. I have had years where I rode 5000 miles without a single flat. Really, the most important point I tried to make is that neither of us has the ultimate answer as to how to deal with a flat on the road. I would much prefer replacing the tube pumping it up and going to messing with glue and patches on the road. Monday was a rare event. I have never gotten two flats on the same ride before. However, I always carry two spare tubes. If you prefer to patch and go, more power to you. All I am saying is, it's an individual choice and preference. I certainly don't need to watch a video on patching a tube.