Old 12-08-13, 11:20 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I choose words carefully. I'm sure you tolerate the behavior of people who's opinion of what's appropriate differ from yours. Tolerance is a good thing, but tolerance is not respect.

There's nothing wrong with having opinions about how to live, and including things like sustainability in those decisions. There's nothing wrong with trying to influence others to think like you, if you believe that's something you should do. There's nothing wrong with trying to use political process to change the way others live.

But the minute you decide your decisions are morally or ethically superior, then respect goes out the window, and tolerance is what's left( at best).

My problem is I don't want to open that door. If I decide that it's OK for me to impose my views on the ethical issue of driving (global warning, air, pollution, traffic noise, etc) then I open myself to folks imposing their views on me on other issues such as diet, health, sexual preference, religion, etc.

Life would be much easier if we all agreed on EVERYTHING, but we don't, so I don't tell people how to live, and don't let them tell me.
That doesn't seem workable when the population exceeds one person, so good luck on your island. I guess you won't mind if we send our pollution and garbage over your way.

"Think Outside the Cage"