Thread: End of the line
View Single Post
Old 12-10-13, 07:13 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
End of the line

One-thousand five-hundred ninety-six... and a half, if you count the ride to work. Just one week shy of seven-and-a-half years. Two-hundred five (and a half) for 2013.

So ends my string of consecutive workdays bike commuting.

The forecast for this afternoon was a 30% chance of flurries in the mid-afternoon, clearing off by five. Snow starting again overnight after 10.

So I took a chance and rode the Ribble today, instead of Mr Portland with its studded snow tires.

Three to four inches of snow fell after 5pm. It was still coming down when we closed the library at 7pm. Nary a plow or salt truck in sight. Apparently it took the city by surprise too.

Discretion being the better part of valor, I accepted the offer of a ride home. (But boy, I thought about breaking the string.) The Ribble rode home in the back of my boss's pick-up, I rode in the front. The bike collected nearly a half-inch of snow on the ride home.

It a way, it's good the string has ended. It's the sort of thing that can become a bit of a burden, and frankly, people question both my integrity and my sanity. Perhaps both have been restored.

Tomorrow starts over again at one.

(And yes, had I had Mr Portland, I'd have ridden home, and had great fun doing it.)

Last edited by tsl; 12-11-13 at 07:57 AM. Reason: Can't count. 1596 not 1597.