Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rimmer
So I was cycling in the bike lane around 6 p.m. minding my own business when all of a sudden some lady just cuts me off the last second and turns right into an “exit only” road meaning you’re not suppose to turn onto that road. My taillight is very bright, and I have reflective strips on my jacket and backpack. I think the light is brighter than car lights. Anyway trying to avoid collision, I had to also turn right but slid across the side of her car as there wasn’t enough space on the inside of the turn. I was braking and you know how motorists turn at crawling snail pace, so the impact turned out quite minor. If I continued straight I would’ve hit the back end of her car and perhaps flown over my handlebars in the process. Fortunately, I didn’t get hurt. My brake calipers got out of adjustment, but I was able to readjust them. I got her plate number, name, and number. I was contemplating making a police report, but I didn’t do it considering everything was okay. Should I have made a report? What else should I have done? She offered $20. That’s pretty cheap, but I didn’t decline it.
While the $20 was something of compensation, she obviously is oblivious to the cost of bike parts and repair. Also, Her offer of $20 can also be her way of hoping you will keep your mouth shut and not report her. I wonder how many people she has offered money to keep their mouths' shut about her driving.

Lastly, Depending on the behavior of law enforcement in your locale, if you had reported it, it might have been 'swept under the rug' with the excuse 'we had to see it'.

Last edited by Chris516; 12-12-13 at 04:21 PM.