View Single Post
Old 12-13-13, 05:33 PM
dscheidt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg M
So all these comparisons between rechargeable lights , battery and dynohub lights
I realise I know nothing how a dynohub light works. So I'm riding to work in the dark ,
and as I coast to a stop at a traffic light does my light dim then go out ? And if it does
how is this better? Iwouldn't feel comfortable waiting with no light. Do you have second
battery light on at the same time ? I always have a backup ready to go at anytime.
Having to remove my light every other day to charge is annoying. So I am interested
in the possibility of setting up a wheel with a dynohub also because I'm planing a short
tour this summer involving some camping.
Essentially all modern LED dynamo lights have a stand light, which is large capacitor that keeps the light lit, at reduced brightness, for several (5 to ten, give or take) minutes. Long enough so you're lights will work even at a long traffic light.
There are some lights that don't have a standlight; there's no good reason to buy one. the price differential is small, and the lights aren't brighter because of it. That's true of both head lights and tail lights. taillight stand lights tend to stay on longer.

I don't notice any difference in brightness as I'm slowing down; the lights (I've several different models on different bikes w/ different hubs) tend to apparently full bright at just over walking speed. (They aren't really fully bright until 10 mph or so, but a plain eye can't easily tell that.)