Old 12-13-13, 06:44 PM
RicR

Bikes: Sun EZ Sport CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Sun EZ Sport CX

Just found this forum and very pleased to see a thread on Sun models only. I found two other forums previously, but could not find a lot of info on Sun Recumbents. I got interested in Recumbents for all the reasons most did. The comfort is there, but the fun factor was a added benefit and now I look forward to riding again. I tried to find used for a couple of weeks, but had no luck. Went to my LBS and they had 3 different sun Models on the floor and one Easy racers tour easy. I liked the Tour Easy but eliminated it from my choices because of the price. I settled on the EZ Sport CX because it just felt right to me. It felt balanced and maneuvered well at very slow speeds. So I took the new EZ Sport home. Yes it is a Cro Moly frame, and yes it weighs 40 Lbs, but I bought it for exercise and to loose weight. However, the bike is capable of so much more. I have 195 miles on it in the 3 weeks, and 25 of them were from todays ride. It was my longest ride yet and I had my highest average speed of 12.4 MPH. When I started 3 weeks ago I was doing 6 - 10 mile rides and averaging 10 miles per hour. So I'm still working on my fitness and building my bent legs. I'm anxious to see what I can do on the bike once I do get in better shape. I can hit 20 MPH now, but can't hold it. I can also ride at 15 - 16 miles per hour for a few minutes, but can't sustain it, so mostly I'm riding in the 10 to 14 MPH range now depending on conditions, and I am pleased with that for now. I'm retired senior citizen and we aren't suppose to go but so fast, but I know I will do better.

This is my first post so I don't know if it will let me post pictures, but I will try. The bike is still totally stock except for a few accessories I had the dealer install, and they seem to work well. I added at Bontrager Trip 2L Computer, which has a temperature sensor. It is nice feature and helps me know how to dress for rides. Another great thing I like about the bike is I can wear street clothes and still be comfortable. I wear street shoes (Hiking boots) and the stock pedals and all seems to be working well. I added a topeak peak DX pump to the water cage holders on the back of the seat. I haven't tried it yet, but it is rated for 90 PSI which should be plenty to get me going should I have a flat. The tires are Kenda Kwest High Pressure rated for 100 PSI and they are the most durable tires I have ever ridden. The bike lanes in my area have a lot of sharp gravel on them and it has not been a problem for these tires. This is an area I would like to upgrade if I there was something out there with less resistance and good reliability. I put a small Bell handle bar bag on the back of the seat and it holds my spare tubes, tire irons, and has room for cell phone, wallet, and keys with some room to spare. I also installed a greenfield black kick stand and I like having it on the bike. Its great not having to find something to lean it against or worse yet somewhere to lay it down. Finally I added the nylon mesh slow vehicle triangle from Adventure Cycling to the back and I think it has helped vehicles to notice me and give me a little more space.

I'm very happy about being a recumbent convert, and very pleased with my EZ sport. I'm looking forward to seeing how well I am able to make it perform, and learning about tire upgrades or any other upgrade that has the potential to improve the bikes performance.

(Sorry about the picture orientation. They were not like this before I uploaded them, and unfortunately I don't know how to correct them)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo.jpg (97.6 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg
photo (1).jpg (99.1 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by RicR; 12-13-13 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Add Comment