Old 12-14-13, 10:27 AM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
. . . Most chiefly, it allows cyclists an easy entry to vehicular style riding. It is an easier transition than simply getting thrown in the deep end and trying to execute a vehicular left turn on a fast, busy street.
Can't argue with that logic. First time I got up the guts to take the lane after several too close passes that resulted in actual contact and injury (thankfully not too sever and being younger back then I bounced a lot better) was on residential streets and I gradually worked my way up learning along the way that if there isn't enough width there just isn't enough width so its actually safer to take the lane. First time I did it, it was out of utter frustration and anger and I just thought "well if they are going to hit me then I'm going to make sure they know what they are doing and have to hit me right on" and I was surprised to find that the vast majority of them slowed and waited to pass until it was safe to do so and swung nice and wide giving me plenty of room. It was like discovering something I never knew was there and I worked my way up from those first quite streets to now when I know the road ain't wide enough to FRAP then I take the lane something I never used to do and almost got myself killed more then once by hugging the edge and encouraging too close passes a couple of which made actual contact as I said.