View Single Post
Old 12-15-13, 12:59 PM
StickBiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm very happy with my Crank Bros Candy pedals. All the benefits of eggbeaters, two-sided clip, plus a small platform to get you pedaling if you miss the cleat. I use some Sidi shoes with a recessed cleat so that I can walk around after dismounting.

I think it can take two or three months of getting used to recumbent pedaling and balance to get to the point where you aren't thinking about it and aren't worried about your feet being attached to the pedal during slow maneuvers. Faster riding is much easier. It's better to use sneakers or something like that when practicing slow riding around parking lots and on sidewalks until it becomes natural to use pedal pressure on one side to counterbalance leaning toward that side. And you figure out what to do in different situations. For example, I have this one tight U-turn around a light pole on a sidewalk leading up a steep ramp that I have to do regularly. I have to carry a little speed to get around the pole without pedaling, take my inside foot out of the cleat, then I have to start pedaling with one foot while still leaned into the turn going uphill. It only works if I trust that I'll immediately get my inside foot back on the pedal pushing hard to counter the lean. If that makes sense. I probably have a video of it somewhere. The point is that there are a variety of situations to get used to and it is better to have some confidence without cleats before you try with cleats.