Old 12-16-13, 02:07 PM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jsigone
the current Tiagra is the old generation of 105's. Hoods are skinnier, external cable routing, shifting is bit chunky and more throw required on both paddles. The new 105 hood are wider, feels real comfy (very similar to SRAM), less chance of single pressure points unlike the older gen. Shifting requires very little throw on the small lever and bit more on the brake lever but VERY smooth. Personally I think it shifts faster then SRAM rival, but shifts faster in the wrong direction. I want faster shifting when trying to go faster, not to get into larger cogs like on climbs. That is my only gripe about 105's

I'd Aim to get 105s shifters & Rear D at $1000 price point, many deal out there at this time of yr and going early into next yr. Front D upgrade is only a $40 upgrade but never really needed. But post bike purchase, to changing from Tiagra to 105s will set you back at least $350 for shifters and rear D. So best to pay the $100 difference up front.

Just the answer I was expecting, thanks for the confirmation jsi! Best part is my 30th b-day is in January so when people ask what I want (if they do) I let them know to just help fund my habit. So I am figuring with what I sell with my old paintball stuff and anything I get for my b-day or Christmas, plus a work bonus, I should have enough to get what I want plus have money for the rides I want to do next year.