Old 12-17-13, 09:27 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
IMO this is a basically unenforceable law passed simply to pacify bicycle advocates. Like many laws passed thse days it's main intent is so the sponsor and supporters can tell interested votes, that they were concerned about their issues, and did something for them.

Even with a helmet cam video, it'll be hard to prove a close pass, unless the helmet is aimed down and to the side.

Of course, in the event of a broadside during a pass, the collision itself would prove that the pass was too close. But here again it just duplicated existing law about right of way and safe passing.

We've had a 3' law in New York for 3 years, and to my knowledge there has been zero effort to publicize the law, which goes to show how serious the state is. These laws don't do us one bit of good via enforcement. They might via publicity, instructing motorists about how to pass safely.
I use a rearward facing video camera, and I have videos of a couple of motorists that passed me within inches. In one video, one can see my tire tracks on the wet pavement, and it can be easily gauged on how close the vehicle was from me, in the other video, the bike lane stripe is clearly visible, with the motorist a foot over the line of a 5ft bike lane, with a curb on the other side. If our 3ft law was in effect, it would definitely have been enforceable upon being viewed by law enforcement.