View Single Post
Old 12-19-13, 07:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5789 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
What do you base this offhand claim on?

My experience has been that in areas with more cyclist, motorist have become more comfortable with passing closer and closer. This is especially true at night, now that all motorist understand a red little blinkie only means a cyclist is ahead.

Years ago at night, virtually every driver would completely change lanes to pass, fearing the light was something that would total their car. Now I am lucky to get more than two feet of clearance.
Experience based observation.

Motorists only "see" hat they expect to see. Where there are few bicyclists or pedestrians, motorists scan the road looking for cars. Though their eye "see" a bicycle, they don't make a real connection, and don't register one. Also, if not used to sharing the road with bicycles they tend to totally misjudge speed, and pass without adequate room, commit left hooks or come into the road off stop sign thinking they have time.

Where motorists are well used to bicycles, they adjust their driving accordingly. However, you're right that this cuts both ways. As motorists learn to read cyclists, they will pass closer and/or count on me to ride predictably.

All in all, I'd far rather share roads with drivers who expect me to be there, and are comfortable with it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.