Thread: Winter climbing
View Single Post
Old 12-19-13, 10:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Grambo
I wish I could just hand you guys a shovel so you can just keep digging deeper into BS land. You do realize there are search engines called Google, Bing etc and topography data is readily available. The highest point in Hunterdon County NJ is 1066 ft above sea level and the lowest 50 ft above sea level making the total possible elevation change in a sustained climb (no down hills) roughly 1000 ft. On a 10% grade you're climbing roughly 528 ft. per mile which equates to climbing a 1000 ft in less than two miles .... hardly a prolonged climb that would certainly take less than 30 minutes and that's assuming there is a road in Hunterdon that goes from the lowest point to the highest over ~ 2 miles which seems very unlikely. To be clear I'm sure there are short steep climbs in Hunterdon that are challenging for even a strong cyclist but the climbs are relatively short. Hunterdon is hilly but certainly not mountainous and implying that you regularly climb 10% average grades for prolonged periods of time in a 52 x 18 just isn't believable. Not saying Dan can't do it for relatively short periods but just that it is highly unlikely he can do it for long periods of time.
We can Google, too, of course. One of the folks you called BS on rides long distances with plenty of sustained 7%+ grades on her fixed-gear:

http://www.dillpicklegear.com/appala...ss-1000k-2012/

What are your palmares on fixed-gear climbing?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 12-19-13 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Took way too long to compose this post...