Old 12-20-13, 02:42 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SocialZoo
It was a fine assumption. Two years off from strength training (lost 20 lbs of muscle - YIKES!), but still in good shape.

My first consideration was a road bikes and I have gone back and forth since. The decision to go with a hybrid is based on the assumption that you cannot put a bike rack and panniers on a road bike, should I choose to carry stuff with me. If that's an ignorant assumption, then the road bikes may be back on the table. I'll take a look at the ones suggested here. The one caveat, in addition to double_stuf's point that I can't test them, is that I've read nightmare stories about BikesDirect and so as a newb, I'm a tad reluctant.
I had originally bought a trek 7100 multi track and it was ok but tended to have problems with the rear wheel... decided what I wanted was a road bike and bought a "bikes direct" bike (dawes lightning sport)...
its a bit old school as it was not top of the line (it had stem shifters, 2 x 7 speeds)... but I loved that bike, I did modify the fit (as I do any road bike, I raised the handle bars) and I am still using that bike but not during the winter, I decided to also fix that rear wheel and am using that as my winter bike...

oh and the road bike did have eyelets for rack, and I use race blades for the fenders (you can get full coverage race blade type of fenders that strap on)