Old 12-21-13, 02:36 AM
floating dutchy

Bikes: 2013 GT Karakoram 3.0 29er Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnosis
For my two 26” mountain bikes––which I use for commuting and long distance rides––I purchased two Rhyno Lite wheelsets with Deore hubs.

The first wheelset was with Deore 32-spoke M530 hubs (allows rim brake usage only). I paid just $90 for the new wheelset from www.BlueSkyCycling.com roughly 2 years ago via the Internet.

The second wheelset was with Deore 32-spoke M525 hubs (allows rim brake & 6-bolt disc brake usage). I paid $125.00 for the new wheelset at a Performance Bikes shop located 14 miles from my house. This latter wheelset was purchased in early summer of 2013. This same wheelset is currently available at www.blueskycycling.com for $109.98 via the link (date of the link being 12-20-2013):

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...-Lite-Rims.htm

These Rhyno Lite rims are double-walled and incredibly strong. You’ll also need to purchase a roll of Velox rim tape for each rim.

Additionally, both wheelsets came with valve stem holes drilled for Presta valves.

Initially, I wasn’t into Presta valves, but they have some positive attributes that have grown on me. While I could have drilled the holes to allow Schrader valves, the rim remains stronger via the smaller Presta valve stem hole.

I run Bontrager H2 26” x 2.0 street tires on these wheelsets (my favorite 26” street tires), inflated to 70 PSI for optimized rolling efficiency. To my friend and cousin’s surprise (who also love these tires), these tires provide a surprisingly smooth ride even when inflated to 70 PSI which allows them to roll efficiently hence, fast for your effort.
I still don't understand why mountain-bikers peruse with the schrader valves, the presta valves are the cat's pajamas in my view.