Old 12-22-13, 10:57 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Your points are very well taken, and are the reason I posted here.

I like the LHT I built. It served me well across Europe last year, getting me from UK to Budapest, almost all on hard sealed roads. I did bend a rim on a very rocky trail when I went too fast with the fully loaded bike, and had to buy a rim to continue. I was in France, lost while navigating the Loire, on a detour. The rim was one I had purchased with a dynohub as a package and was not of high quality, and has since been replaced.

Finding a shop and getting the rim installed took a day, and actually added to the interest of the trip - but this was France, and I suspect it could be a different story if I were halfway up a mountain in the Andes.

I keep reading about using 26 inch bikes for remote locations due to availability of rims and tires. I suppose I could build or buy a true expedition quality 26 inch based bike ($$$$) and equip it fully, and would actually enjoy the build. Sitting here in my home though is this 1995 Trek 7000 non-suspension mountain bike. Add tires and racks and go.

Lets assume that servicing on both bikes is equal, as I can just as easily do the maintenance on either. I can carry spare foldable tires for each. Rims are another matter though, and I do not imagine carrying a spare is practical. I have visions of a donkey with FEDEX on its flanks, trudging up a dirt mountain road while I develop an extended relationship with the locals.

I'll read the material you referred to and think about it some more.

Thanks.
I'm in no way knocking the Trek.
I just think the LHT has already proven itself to be a capable and comfortable(?) bike to tour on, hence you having to think about it.
I cant remember the size off the top of my head but I was actually impressed with the tire fatness the LHT could manage without fenders.
I think big tyres are good for comfort and go a good way towards rim protection given enough air in them.
I utilise Velocity Dyads which are narrow by current mountain bike standards but I still happily use a 50x622 (28x2.00) tire on them.
In fact for around town day to day stuff I use a 60x622 (28x2.35) but prefer the former 2 inch wide and lighter tire for touring (marathon supreme with back up of 2 inch Mondials for rough stuff).
I stick with approx 30-35psi which appears ample with out coming close to pinch flats nor too much drag whilst being easier on the rims than high pressure in high volume tires.
Rims tend to suffer failure from too much pressure with high volume tires, pinch flat impacts from too low pressure or high impact more common with mountain bike style of aggressive riding as main culprits, from my experience and forum reading.
Running wider tires and lower end pressures seem easier on them from what I've gleaned from personal experience and reading of others opinions and stories of failures.
Serviced hub and properly tensioned spokes tend to go a long way toward longevity in wheels and theres plenty of people touring on 700c wheels where prudence might suggest angels fear to tread.
Terminal failures are not impossible but I think rarer than many fear.
A good collection of appropriate sized spokes taken with you and perhaps more left with someone able to post may alleviate some of the stress of the unknown with its accompanying paranoia.

Edit: I just checked out the Surly site which claim:
"700c: 42mm with fenders, 45mm without fenders Individual tire and rim combos affect tire clearance"
Which offer a good range of fat tires to help protect your rims in off road conditions with the caveat of a cautious approach to loaded touring on less than ideal surfaces.

Oh and good call with the dynohub.
I wouldnt be without mine and its B&M E-werk to keep my speedo/gps, my phone and lights going.
Currently in the process of building up an extra-wheel trailer with a second dynohub to act as both water carrier and laptop and camera gear charging unit.

Last edited by rifraf; 12-22-13 at 11:06 AM.