Old 12-23-13, 11:00 AM
Number400

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 and T2 tandem, 2008 Scott Addict R4, Raleigh SC drop bar tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aggressive drivers turning left on green with the light change

Four way intersection. Each direction has a turn lane and a straight/right turn lane combination. Lighted crosswalk signs with painted crosswalk on road.

We were astride our bikes on the pedestrian/bike path (this is an official, marked bike route that is also a sidewalk) and pressed the cross button. Lights changed our way and our walk sign lit up at the same instant the light turned green. An oncoming driver in the opposing left turn lane started to race through to turn left before the cars with us began to move. I was looking back and forth to make sure no drivers were turning right from behind me as I was entering the crosswalk. So I get a few feet into the crosswalk and swivel my head back and see him going for it. He has to slam on his brakes but is now looking like he is attempting to time me and dart behind but still try to beat the oncoming traffic. He winds up partially blocking the opposing traffic from making it through the intersection. I yelled "don't do it!", but had already put myself in harms way by entering the crosswalk. I guess it is another lesson and situation to put on my list of things to watch out for. It happened pretty fast and I usually wait for a few seconds before entering an intersection but in this case there was zero cross traffic in either direction.

Life really is cheap for a few impatient and dangerous drivers.

Last edited by Number400; 12-23-13 at 11:04 AM.