View Single Post
Old 12-23-13, 03:35 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I wonder about this. Minneapolis has seen a huge increase in biking but the risk of being in a car/bicycle accident has decreased significantly in the last 20 years. ...
Thanks for the chart. It's an interesting point in that it shows the accident rate declining. There are many possible reasons, from drivers simply getting more used to bicyclists, to changes in the average age, experience and skill of the riding population, to the infrastructure itself making roads safer.

Regardless of the cause or causes, the reduction in the rate is a good thing. That the rate reduction is enough to fully offset the increased numbers is an especially good thing,because it proves that there are ways to make bicycling safer. Of course there'll be endless debate about what accounts for the improvement.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.