Old 12-24-13, 11:08 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
I have the Garmin Edge 200. But it has never kept enough data, and I would have to keep using my Blackburn Delphi 6.0 to account for the data and HRM that my original Garmin didn't have.

Anyway, My parents' gave me the Garmin Edge 500 w/ HRM + Cadence Sensor, as a Christmas present. I have not been able to do a ride with the new Garmin because of the poor weather. So I was watching a comparison video of the Garmin Edge 200, Garmin Edge 500, and the Garmin Forerunner 705. During the video, the Garmin Edge 500(GPS) was doing the same thing as my Blackburn Delphi 6(battery) did. Where the speed would not be accurate.

So in terms of the Garmin Edge 500 in the video, would the constantly changing speed, be a sign of a bad battery, even with a full charge? My Blackburn Delphi 6 would sometimes go from 0-200mph and would jump all over the place. Which is what the Garmin Edge 500 was doing in the video.
If you have a cadence sensor, as long as the Edge is detecting it, it will draw your speed from that. "Jumping" speeds come from situations where the speed is being pulled from satellites and you haven't had the Edge on long enough for it to "lock" on to a satellite cluster. Generally, the more frequently you use it, the less time this takes, especially if you're in the same area a lot.

Set it up with a cadence sensor, make sure the Edge detects the sensor and you should be good.