Old 12-25-13, 09:20 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by edsall78
I think that you can't really go wrong with any of the bikes -- I suggested just upgrading to brifters because it seems the simplest. As for the Straggler being $1800 (MSRP)..the great thing about Surly is that you can buy the frameset + donor bike or bd bike and come out way ahead:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...iberty_cxd.htm + Straggler frameset = $1100 + (Assembly fee) or;
http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=2488 + Straggler = $1000 + (Assembly fee) or;

On the other hand--if it were me I'd do this and be done with it:
Motobecane CXX ($799): It's basically a poor man's Crosscheck w/Brifters--(no disc)
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fantom_cxx.htm

Which should give you 90% of what you want (minus disc brakes)...Ride that for a while..if the brakes don't do it for you;
Buy a new frame-set ($450-ish) (I think i would prefer the Soma Double Cross Disc) and transfer your Apex group from the Moto over.

I've listed BD as examples..only because they are easy to link to..you can get better prices with patience and an eye on craigslist/ebay. Also, my next bike will most likely be something from Soma (Double Cross or Smoothie ES) and, I'm looking forward to a frame-up build.

If you are not afraid of doing some of the work yourself..it might make a nice winter project.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Also, do you have a secure place to store this awesome ride once you have it?
I never would have thought of buying a complete bikesdirect bike for the parts - Brilliant! I want to give another vote for getting a used (or new) frame and building. Last winter I decided it was time to use studs and my old steel road bike wouldn't handle them. I looked for a used bike but they're hard to find in my size. I happened to stumble on an old Cannondale hybrid frame and fork at the local bike co-op - bought it for $25. I happened to have an old bike to steal pieces from and I could have been done there - total investment less than $150 (including the studded tires) for a very capable commuter.

Before tackling this job I considered myself a moderately competent tinkerer. Since I couldn't leave the bike as is and have since replaced just about everything (mostly with used and new-old-stock parts) I've learned to do just about anything and everything. I now have a full stock of tools too (always looking for excuses to buy tools). I love riding this bike, in part because I built it, in part because it has what I want on it and I feel confident fixing just about anything. Including tools I'm guessing I still have less than $500 invested and invaluable confidence and education!