genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
The chart corrects for that, although where they get their estimates for distances cycled is a bit of a mystery. Still, after the umpteen times you have posted your video of how wonderful it was to ride in Finland, I was shocked to see that the rate of death per km ridden in the US was only slightly over twice the rate for Finland. While the death rate should be much lower, in my opinion, it's not so high that I see much difference between what it is and half of that. In fact, if our death rate dropped to one half of what it currently is tomorrow I doubt if any of us would notice it. There would still be a cyclist killed once per day on average, so we would continue to read these man-bites-dog stories at the same rate.

Other than the alcohol problem, it was also interesting that 40% of the fatalities were intersection/driveway issues. Strike against the segregation agenda, since that is the weak link in that approach.
Uh your reference to intersection/driveway issues... was that in reference to Finland or the US. In Oulu while they do also have intersection issues in some places, they do try to remove some of those issues with below road grade underpasses, something that is very rarely found in the US. Also bear in mind that Oulu Finland has a 20% modal share, something like well over 10X the modal share of the US. (even Davis only has something like just over 6%).