Old 12-25-13, 10:36 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Ritterview
Here's our pic from Low Key Hill Climb, Montebello.

If you look closely at the original you can see that when I retreived the bike from the car just before the race and mounted the front wheel I inexcusably neglected to re-engage the front brake caliper. Since this was a hill climb, I did not use and detect that the front brake wasn't working.

While descending, the carbon arm on our TRP Spyre rear disc cracked.

And thus at this point, at 18 mph, I found that the rear brake wasn't working, and then neither was the front!

Making like Fred Flinstone, I managed to slow us down by dragging my cleats on the ground, and eventually come to a near stop, so that we leaned into the grassy hillside beside us around that curve, and everything came out all right. Mrs Ritter was shaken by this experience, but was soon intent on getting back to the car so she could keep her lunch date our son. We have also had discussions about her anxious habit of clipping out unnecessarily.

The next day was Mrs. Ritter's birthday, which she was grateful to see. For her card, I commemorated our experience:

That's a scary story for sure. Might I suggest ABCQuickas your checklist? Air, brakes, chain, quick releases.