Old 12-27-13, 01:14 AM
Maycat

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Robaix Sport 105, 1966 Raleigh Sport Step Through, 1988 Centurian Dave Scott Ironman Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by k8t
Hey, I just read through this thread about your new bike and you've got me thinking about how I just need to get on my newish bike and RIDE. Riding gets rid of any guilt! And, I've always wanted to do the Chico Wildflower, so your story inspired me to sign up.

I'm in my mid 50s and love riding but just haven't really for years. My newish bike is a touring bike from REI (the Randonee) that I got about 6 months ago. It's rather heavy but I love it because it fits and I don't get so tired on it with the odd aches and pains (no hand numbing!) and I'm looking forward to just cruising the miles away. Not a speed-rider, really just a touring type.

My husband has been very supportive and when I mentioned the Wildflower ride, (we've talked about it for years), he got excited too. So we just signed up and now have a fun event to train for. We're doing the 65 mile route, not the whole 100 mile century.

So thanks for sharing your story and providing the inspiration I've needed as we move into the new year. Now go have fun on your new bike!!! It's a beauty!
Thanks for sharing your story, K8t. I am very excited for you and your husband doing the Wildflower ride. Now that I have signed up for it I am a bit scared of the hills. I don't see the 100 miles as the problem, I am concerned about the 5481 feet of climbing! But I am going to attempt it, and as we get closer, if I don't seem to be ok on the hills I will request to do the 65 mile route so I am not miserable. I am signing up for all the beginning hill-climbing rides I can locally. I am planning to do some local hills during my lunch hour.

I actually don't feel guilty about the bike anymore. The stories of everyone here has really helped. I am out of town visiting family now, and have been unable to ride, but got to take a spinning class today and I got so excited about this goal! I am telling everyone who will listen about this century ride.

My husband is supportive and gave me arm warmers, bike tools and a cool water bottle cage for Christmas. Tomorrow I am picking up a double wireless cateye cadence computer and when I am back home will take it for a ride! The only thing I am nervous about now is the new road bike cleats I will be sporting. When they fitted me for the bike I wasn't as comfortable with these new clipless pedals as I was with the SPDs I had on my old bike.

K8t are you near Chico? If so, PM me, I am part of a beginner ride group on the weekends. Btw, I looked up the specs for a randonee and it looks great! I love steel bikes.