Old 12-27-13, 02:08 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I've been mostly car lite and occasionally car free since around 1999. Over the years, I've learned that it's possible to ride in extreme heat and cold, ride in rain and snow, and carry heavy things on a bike. I've also learned that I'd rather spend my time outside than trapped in a box - whether it's my own car, or one that someone else is driving, like a bus. At one point, I took a job in a community where car free living was nearly impossible: the homicidal maniacs and terrible infrastructure were bad, but the feral dogs did me in. It was a big reason why I left.

These days, I drive about once a week. I don't like doing it, but it's cheaper/easier for me to get all the groceries and heavy stuff, like cat litter and my (car-free) partner's diet Coke in one big trip with an automobile. I also drive the cats to the vet...and that's about it.

Whenever the car dies, we'll probably go car free again - there are plenty of things I'd rather do with my money than make car payments. I've thought about selling the car to finance a sturdier bike and serious cargo trailer, but the car isn't worth enough to pay for that, and insurance and maintenance are really cheap on an old car that you drive 20 miles a month. So, here we are, car lite, but not dependent. Quite a change for someone who grew up in The Car State.
Welcome! Are you from Michigan? I grew up in Highland Park, but I've lived in Lansing for almost 30 years.

"Think Outside the Cage"