FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Christmas present for my wife who needs a little help on hills. 4.4 Ah Lithium battery came charged, 5 minutes top off. Battery is about 2 lbs, 6" x 2", fits nicely on the downtube or under the seat, small profile. Boxed condition was perfect. Installed on a '05 (lighter weight than current versions) Giant Suede with cro-mo suspension forks.

40 minute set-up, a good deal of that was simple changing front tire & tube with the Schwalbe MS we had on that bike...tweaking After a few hours of test riding, decided we wanted to move the battery pack and cables, so another 20 minutes of positioning and strapping.

No time today to ride it on the hills, but had 4 different riders testing it out on the flats. My son got her hybrid over 25mph with a simple assist. Love the smooth transition from pedaling/freewheel to front hub motor assist.

Easy peasy. So far, a terrific purchase - great fun factor. We'll have it up in the hills this weekend and post a performance review.
Performance Review: 35 mile loop, sub-140lb rider, bike weight with Hill Topper probably 30-33lbs, terrain: 10% & 6% .5 mile hills & mostly constant 3-5% grade going out, long downhill then flat coming back.

Spouse used the e-assist with short pulses (mostly on the grades), says it takes a little time to figure out what gear to start and end in on steep hills, but works really well. She kept up with me rolling about 10-12mph on the grades, no problem with knees, quiet and smooth. On the flats I spun-up a little more than usual when riding with her, doing 14-17mph on my heavy touring bike. She would catch and release, and when she was in front she would spot me in her mirror and create and 10 bike length gap if I was closing. Good fun.

She says the bike handled perfectly, only really difference was lifting the front end over curbs when we stopped for coffee or at the market. She could hear the hub motor, I couldn't riding in front or back. One the pluses she passes along is the ability to zip through intersections on a short light or left hand turn arrow, not getting caught on a burning light.

Finished the 35 miles with no drama, her knees are fine. I guess she's come back with the battery about half charged or better. Now she's ready for a bigger challenge, bigger hills.

Only negative or want: She thinks the push button should be two stage, low and high. A low would make more sense then pulsing on the flats.

So, a complete success. Thanks Clean Republic!

Last edited by FrenchFit; 12-28-13 at 06:15 PM.